After an Austin school district voted to rename an elementary school named for Confederate general Robert E. Lee, voters rebelled against the project by voting for figures like Donald Trump and Adolf Hitler to retain the honor instead.
Donald J. Trump Elementary received the most votes, followed by Robert E. Lee Elementary. Coming in seventh with eight votes was the Adolf Hitler School for Friendship and Tolerance. The highest rated serious suggestion was Russell Lee Elementary, named for a famous Austin photographer.
But there was ample evidence that most of the voting was facetiously mocking the political correctness of shedding Lee’s name, with 4chan and Reddit-themed suggestions dominating the process. Among the other suggestions:
- Adam Lanza’s School of Fun
- Austin Taliban Elementary
- Ayn Rand Elementary
- Bee Movie
- Bleeding Heart Liberal Elementary
- Boaty McBoatface Elementary School
- Flava Flave Elementary
- Forgetting the Past Dooms You to Repeat It Elementary
- Hypothetical Perfect Person Memorial Elementary School
- James Earl Ray Elementary
- Jefferson Davis Elementary
- JOHN CENA Elementary
- Kim Il-Sung High School
- Politically Correct Elementary School #1
- Schooly McSchoolerson
- The Illuminati
- The Elementary School Formerly Known as Robert E. Lee
Unfortunately, all that voting was for nothing. When it comes times to choose the name, the board can choose whichever name they think is best, regardless of number of votes.
[Image via screengrab]
>>Follow Alex Griswold (@HashtagGriswold) on Twitter
Have a tip we should know? email@example.com