WATCH: Benton’s Owner Walks Into Burning Building, Saves Hams From (Delicious-Smelling) Fire
Last night, a smokehouse at Benton’s Smoky Mountain Country Hams caught on fire. Local television station WBIR reported that the legendary Tennessee smokehouse, whose pork products appear in the dishes of ham zealots David Chang, Hugh Acheson, and the entire cult of Bacontology, briefly caught fire last night.
But the quick-thinking Allan Benton and his friends averted what would have truly been a real Hammageddon (and not a silly death-metal spit roaster), by walking into a burning smokehouse and saving all the meat inside.
According to Benton, damage was minimal, the smokehouse was being renovated anyway, and should be up and running by the end of the week. As he assured a writer at The Huffington Post later, “like the death of Mark Twain, media reports on this fire have been greatly exaggerated.”
Except for the part where he walked into a burning building to save hams. That’s true dedication. The dearest, darling chefs who read this site should remind themselves at this moment that they are nothing without this man. He risked burning to death (or at least acquiring a nice char), to save the hams! We should all have such balls.
Have a tip we should know? firstname.lastname@example.org