Oy — this is not the way to spend the weekend of Thanksgiving.
Famed Italian restaurant Barbetta, which claims to be New York City’s oldest eatery, was evacuated Friday night after a fast-burning grease fire. And the damages could go from bad to worse.
The fire began in a grease duct, said the Associated Press, and spread quickly. Sources say the fire took firefighters about 50 minutes to fully extinguish. Said owner Laura Maioglio to the New York Post, “I was in the dining room when I heard the chef shouting fire, fire. We immediately evacuated everyone,” … “It’s very bad because it hits us at the busiest time of the year.”
— Ruthie Wittenberg (@wittysend) November 29, 2013
The restaurant, whose biggest claim to fame is former diners Bill and Hillary Clinton, as well as Mary J. Blige, will remain closed until the damages have been repaired. The news of the fire, well, had mixed reactions via Twitter:
NO! “@JustinBrannan: Oh no! Fire at Barbetta.”
— robicellis (@robicellis) November 30, 2013
— Chris Shott (@chrisshott) November 30, 2013
Tonight in Food TV: Knife Fight Sets Multiple Fires in Ilan Hall’s Kitchen
“Fire Breaks Out At Tim Love’s Lonesome Dove
WATCH: Benton’s Owner Walks Into Burning Building, Saves Hams From (Delicious-Smelling) Fire
Have a tip we should know? email@example.com