Former Waitress Spills On Working For The Kitchen Nightmares Crazies
Shedding light on the much-buzzed-about recent episode of Kitchen Nightmares, former waitress Katy Cipriani gained sweet, sweet karma with an AMA on Reddit about her time working with Samy and Amy Bouzaglo; potentially the most bat-shit insane, delusional restaurant owners to ever interact with Gordon Ramsay.
Cipriani was an employee of Amy’s Baking Company in Scottsdale, AZ when the episode was shot in December, and according to her, all of Samy and Amy’s screaming and punching was absolutely not staged. “People may have purposely sent back their food or falsely complained for a chance to be on tv, but that’s about it,” she said. “Everything else was 100% real.”
She told Redditors last night that this was her first restaurant job, and she had no idea what sort of psycho world she’d entered. She explained why she infamously never received her tips, nor knew how to use a Point-Of-Service system.
“Honestly I have no idea why they wanted to be on the show,” she added. “Maybe they thought they’d get great publicity from it?”
Other behind-the-scenes tidbits that might get the teenage waitress fake-sued for fake libel included:
- While other restaurants expect their waiters to try dishes, Cipriani never actually tried the food at Amy’s. “they never let me try their food and I never felt like paying for it out of my own pocket,” she explained.
- Samy can actually be a nice guy, sometimes: “He referred to [my coworker] Miranda and I as being ‘like his own daughters’. Though it was kind of creepy!” (Best Redditor response: “So what you’re telling us is that he called you both cats.”)
- After Samy infamously called the cops in the middle of dinner (and the middle of filming), all the diners were escorted out of the restaurant and the producers had to pay for all their meals.
- Cipriani was paid $8 an hour, and still has no idea if it’s legal for an employer to keep all her tips. (Hint: it’s not.)
- Samy never allowed her to use the POS system — leading many to speculate if Amy’s Baking Company was a money laundering operation.
- The only reason the kitchen and restaurant was spotlessly clean was because no one ever ate there, forcing the employees to spend all their free, free time cleaning.
Have a tip we should know? firstname.lastname@example.org