27 Dead in Gunmen Attack on Tunisian Beach Resorts
Unidentified gunman have opened fire on a popular tourist beach in Tunisia on Friday, killing at least 27 people, according to a government official.
NBC News reported that Tunisia’s Interior Ministry said that, in addition to the deaths, at least six people were injured, and one of the attackers had perished in the ensuing struggle.
The attack — labeled a “terrorist attack” by the Tunisian government — took place in the popular tourist destination city of Sousse, located on the Mediterranean Sea.
More from BBC News:
A British man on holiday told the BBC that he heard the attack on a neighbouring hotel and saw a man with a pistol from his room, but did not know whether this was an attacker or a member of the security forces.
The holidaymaker said he and other guests had been told to take shelter in the hotel’s staff quarters and have been told to wait for the all-clear.
Another witness, a British man on holiday, told NBC that “he initially thought he was hearing firecrackers but that ‘it was only when you could hear the bullets whizzing through the air that we realized it was gunfire.'”
[Image via Tunisia TV/screengrab]
Have a tip we should know? firstname.lastname@example.org