— CNN (@CNN) December 18, 2016
Last week Reince Priebus suggested the Donald Trump administration may do away with daily press briefings. This set the media world abuzz, and now current White House Press Secretary Josh Earnest has weighed in.
He spoke with CNN’s Brian Stelter and said that banning outlets like Fox News or Breitbart would go against the spirit of what the briefings are supposed to be.
Earnest hopes that the Trump administration doesn’t ban certain outlets from being in the room. He told Stelter whoever stands at the podium in that room should have the confidence in the persuasiveness of their arguments to engage with people from news outlets they might not personally care for.
He touted how the Obama administration has had “the courage” to do so, and concluded by saying it’s important to protect the “symbolic accountability and transparency” shown in that room on a daily basis.
Watch above, via CNN.
[image via screengrab]
Have a tip we should know? email@example.com