The mass shooting in Orlando, Florida that left 50 people dead and dozens of people injured was the deadliest in U.S. history. The suspected shooter, Omar Mateen, was shot dead by police amid a gun battle with SWAT officers. Orlando authorities believe that the death toll could rise as the investigation continues.
Here is a list of the 9 other deadliest attacks in U.S. history.
Virginia Tech Shooting – April 16, 2007
- 32 people killed, 17 others wounded in 2 separate attacks
- the attack had been the deadliest prior to the Orlando shooting
- Gunman was Seung-Hui Cho, a senior at Virginia Tech
Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting – December 14, 2012
- 20 children (ages six and seven) and six adults were killed. Total of 28 people dead, including gunman
- Occurred in Newtown, Connecticut
- Adam Lanza was the shooter. He killed himself.
Luby’s Shooting – October 16, 1991
- 23 people killed, 27 people injured before the gunman turned the gun on himself.
- Occurred in Killeen, Texas
- 35-year-old George Jo Hennard, an unemployed man, drove his pickup truck through the front window of Luby’s Cafeteria before he opened fired.
San Isidro McDonald’s Massacre – July 18, 1984
- 21 adults and children killed at a McDonald’s in San Isidro, California
- 41-year-old James Huberty was shot and killed by police
- He used a long-barreled Uzi, a pump-action shotgun and a handgun
UT Tower Shooting – August 1, 1966,
- 16 people killed and 30 wounded
- Charles Joseph Whitman, a former U.S. marine, opened fire from a University of Texas tower.
- He was killed by two police officers.
San Bernardino Shooting – December 2, 2015
- 14 people killed
- Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik open fire at the Inland Regional Center in San Bernardino, California
- 4 hours after the shooting, police tracked them down and killed them in a shootout
Edmond, Oklahoma Post Office Shooting – August 20, 1986
- 14 people killed, 6 others injured
- Patrick Henry Sherrill opened fire at a U.S. post office in Edmond, Oklahoma. He was a mail carrier.
Fort Hood, Texas Shooting – November 5, 2009
- 13 people killed and 32 injured
- Maj. Nidal Malik Hasan was convicted and was sentenced to death.
- Hasan was shot and was paralyzed from the waist down.
Binghamton Shootings – April 3, 2009
- 13 people died, 4 others injured
- Occurred at American Civic Association immigration center in Binghamton, New York.
- Shooter was Jiverly Antares Wong.
Have a tip we should know? firstname.lastname@example.org