Times Square will be ringing in the new year with some special guests to honor press freedom in the final moments of 2018.
Press freedom was a big issue this year, particularly following the murder of Jamal Khashoggi, and Time Magazine‘s Persons of the Year were journalists who were killed or targeted for their work.
Today Times Square New Year’s Eve announced that a number of journalists are being honored as part of a celebration of press freedom on Monday and will be pushing the button to lower the ball.
The special guests they have announced will be there are:
- Karen Attiah, Washington Post global opinions editor
- Rebecca Blumenstein, New York Times deputy managing editor
- Alisyn Camerota, CNN New Day anchor
- Vladimir Duthiers, CBS News correspondent and CBSN anchor
- Edward Feisenthal, Time Magazine editor-in-chief
- Lester Holt, NBC Nightly News and Dateline NBC anchor
- Matt Murray, Wall Street Journal editor-in-chief
- Martha Raddatz, ABC News chief global affairs correspondent and This Week co-anchor
- Maria Ressa, Rappler CEO and executive editor
- Jon Scott, Fox News Fox Report Weekend anchor
- Karen Toulon, Bloomberg senior editor
- Joel Simon, executive director of the Committee to Protect Journalists
#TimesSquare NYE will honor journalists this year with Special Guests @KarenAttiah, @RBlumenstein, Alisyn Camerota (@NewDay), @vladduthiersCBS, @efelsenthal, @LesterHoltNBC, @murraymatt, @MarthaRaddatz, @mariaressa, @JonScottFNC, @karentoulon. Learn more: https://t.co/qfXpux3VfG. pic.twitter.com/N5xxvMZLd7
— Times Square (@TimesSquareNYC) December 29, 2018
[image via screengrab]
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]