60 Minutes Airs Special Segment Apologizing for Benghazi Report
On Sunday night, CBS’ 60 Minutes corrected its recent report on Benghazi, which Chairman of CBS News Jeff Fager called “as big a mistake as there has been.”
After initially defending the report, CBS conceded on Friday that it had been misled by its primary source, Dylan Davies, a British contractor who claimed to have been present at the American Embassy in Libya the night of the attack, but who was revealed to have told a different story to the FBI, one in which he was nowhere near the compound.
“There are people in the world who try to deceive others,” Fager told the New York Times. “We believe we have a really good system to guard against that. This guy got through that.”
CBS took the segment off its webiste, reporter Lara Logan apologized on CBS Friday morning, and Simon and Schuster, its publishing division, recalled a book of Davies’ account, which was published on October 29.
Fager did not indicate whether there would be repercussions for those involved on the story, which 60 Minutes has been working on for a year.
The story has unfortunate echoes for CBS, which fired numerous staff members, including Dan Rather, over a 2004 report about George W. Bush’s tenure in the National Guard.
Watch the video below, via CBS:
[Image via screengrab]
Have a tip we should know? firstname.lastname@example.org