comScore

Conservative Radio Host: Founders Meant to Protect Only Christianity with 1st Amendment

We haven’t brought you the incoherent, bigoted ramblings of right-wing radio host Bryan Fischer in a while, so here’s a little treat. On his show Tuesday afternoon, the American Family Association leader asserted that when the Founding Fathers protected the free expression of religion, via the First Amendment, they meant solely “Christianity,” and not all faiths.

Fischer’s thesis came in response to news that Satanists in Oklahoma have fought to gain equal representation during the holidays on statehouse public property. The state has every right to reject the group’s plea, Fischer said, because the relevant portion of the U.S. Constitution was not intended to protect any faith other than Christianity.

“At the time of the founding, 99.8 percent of the population of the colonies were Christians,” Fischer declared. “The other 0.2 percent were Jews.” And so the radio host believes that America’s founders “were thinking of Christianity,” and so “they weren’t providing any cover or shelter for the free exercise of Islam or even Judaism or even atheism.”

“They weren’t saying you can’t do it,” he clarified, “they weren’t prohibiting that, they were just saying that is not what we are talking about here.”

“If by ‘religion,’ the founders meant Christianity, then you can ban a monument to Satan because that’s not Christianity,” Fischer concluded. “If we don’t understand the word ‘religion’ to mean Christianity as the founders intended it, then we have no way to stop Islam, we have no way to stop Satanism, we have no way to stop any other sort of sinister religion practice that might creep onto the fruited plains.”

Watch below:


[h/t RWW/Raw Story]

— —
>> Follow Andrew Kirell (@AndrewKirell) on Twitter

Have a tip we should know? [email protected]

Filed Under:

Follow Mediaite: