Howard Schultz Laments the Blowback on His Possible 2020 Run: The ‘Resistance’ Has Taken Me and My Wife Aback
Former Starbucks CEO and possible presidential candidate Howard Schultz says he and his wife were startled by the harsh blowback from members of the “Resistance” to his announcement that he will run as an Independent in 2020.
In an interview with SiriusXM, Schultz and his wife Sheri said they expected some criticism but not the amount of “acute” backlash they had been receiving thus far.
“I think the extent of it has taken us back a bit,” he said. “But I think any time you try and go against the grain and take the road less travelled and challenge the status quo – actually, that’s something I’ve been doing my whole life, but not at this level – clearly we’re going to have some resistance.”
Sheri Schultz added that she tries to be “present” and take things “one day at a time.”
“The best way that I can articulate my conversations with Howard about this are… for Howard to speak from his heart,” said Mrs. Schultz, when asked about conversations with her husband over his presidential bid. “He’s always been driven by it. It’s how he started a company, it’s how he turned it into a global business, and that’s when you get the best of Howard.”
Schultz’s interview will air in full Tuesday night on SiriusXM’s Insight channel 121 at 6:00 p.m. ET. Watch the preview above, via SiriusXM.
Have a tip we should know? email@example.com