NBC News is reporting that one suspect is dead and two more are in custody following the French manhunt for the terrorists who attacked Charlie Hebdo’s offices in Paris earlier today.
BREAKING: One suspect in Paris terror attack killed, two in custody, U.S. officials say http://t.co/tOJVZu0Wwp
— NBC News (@NBCNews) January 7, 2015
Two unnamed senior U.S. counterterrorism officials provided NBC News with the information, with one saying the suspects were linked to a Yemeni terrorist network. Earlier, Paris police identified the three men as Said Kouachi and Cherif Kouachi and Hamyd Mourad.
UPDATE — 9:15 p.m. ET: NBC News is walking back its earlier report with Pete Williams updating an online article with this statement:
After a long day of rapidly changing information, US counterterrorism officials said Wednesday night that they cannot be certain what the status is of the three suspects in the Paris attack on Charlie Hebdo magazine. Information from French sources has been contradictory, they said.
Earlier Wednesday, two senior U.S. counterterrorism officials told NBC News that one of the suspects in the attack had been killed and that two others were in custody. However, the officials later said the information that was the basis of that account could not be confirmed.
French news organizations, including Agence France-Presse and France 24, are now reporting that the youngest of the three suspects has surrendered to police while the other two remain on the run.
[Photo via screengrab]
Have a tip we should know? email@example.com