Updated October 23rd, 2017.
This statement covers Mediaite and any associated content including email and RSS feeds. Please read this statement carefully before proceeding to access any of Mediaite.com. Your use of Mediaite indicates your agreement to abide by the terms in effect.
Use of Content
Mediaite is pleased to make its original content available under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial License for non-commercial reproduction with credit to the source site. This license permits anyone to do the following with original Mediaite content in any medium:
1. To reproduce, remix, or otherwise alter original Mediaite site material so long as the logo is displayed and credit is given. This includes, specifically, permission: to reproduce quotes, to reproduce screenshots of any page of Mediaite, to include original Mediaite material in mash-ups, mixes, parodies, caricatures, etc. for movies, TV, print, or online.
Important Note: this does not include the right to republish images from Mediaite, for which Mediaite may not be the copyright holder, except in the context of a screenshot of the whole site.
Mediaite makes no representations or guarantees about the suitability for third-party use of content that appears on Mediaite, and licenses herewith only the content of which Mediaite is the copyright holder.
Mediaite provides two feeds for each of its sites. If you are using all or substantially all of a feed, we ask that you do not modify it in any way, including the stripping out of advertisements.
- Full ad-supported feeds are intended only for personal use in RSS readers.
- For all other feed uses, including reproduction on websites, you should only use the Excerpt feeds, unless
otherwise agreed with the company.
- Please do not splice the RSS feeds into or otherwise redistribute them via third-party RSS providers.
- Please do not ad content, including any advertisements or other promotional content, to the RSS feeds.
- Mediaite reserves the right to object to your presentation of the RSS feeds and the right to require you to cease
using the RSS feeds at any time.
- Mediaite further reserves the right to terminate its distribution of the RSS feeds or change the content or formatting
of the RSS feeds at any time without notice to you.
- Internal links in the site content must not be removed.
- The site logo and/or URL should appear on each page displaying site content.
- The format or branding of the headlines, text and other information provided in the RSS feeds must not be modified.
- “More From…” links back to original site at the end of each post must be included on content pages and may not be
- Reproduction of screenshots from any site is permissible, without prior written approval, so long as the site logo and URL is fully visible or otherwise included on the page. See above for general permissions on partial content.
- The site logo and URL must appear prominently at the top of each section displaying site content.
- Content must appear unedited, except for replacement of hyperlinks with full URLs and use of product manufacturer’s site links where appropriate.
- Images from a site must not be used in print without obtaining the appropriate copyright clearances yourself.
Mediaite provides this content “as is” and Mediaite shall not be held liable for your use of the information in the feeds.Use of a site’s content, including text and images, on your site, or in print, is entirely at your discretion. Mediaite is not responsible for any complaints regarding content or images that you choose to display on your site or in print.
The the fullest extent allowed, Mediaite disclaims all warranties, including warranties for merchantability, non-infringement and fitness for a particular purpose. By accessing the RSS feeds or the XML instructions provided above, you indicate that you understand and agree to these terms and conditions.
Corresponding with Mediaite
Any correspondence with Mediaite, including any documentation or images, are considered property of Mediaite.
Mediaite reserves the right to reproduce such correspondence, in whole or in part, on Mediaite or its affiliates.
The comments sections on Mediaite are accessible to users by invitation only (such invitations coming either from Mediaite editors directly or by referral from existing comment users). Mediaite’s comment user registration system has been designed so that, if the user chooses, they can remain completely anonymous, even to Mediaite.
In order to make comments useful and interesting, the following guidelines have been established for comment users:
- do not post threatening, harassing, defamatory, or libelous material
- do not intentionally make false or misleading statements
- do not post material that infringes copyright
- do not post information that you know to be confidential or sensitive or otherwise in breach of the law
- keep all comments relevant to the particular Mediaite site where the comment is being posted
- Mediaite will not accept responsibility for information posted in the comments sections
To access certain features of our Site, you may be asked to register with us on the form provided and such registration may require you to provide personally identifying information such as your name, address and email address, and also may ask you to provide certain demographic information such as your gender and date of birth. You agree that you will register only if you are 13 years or older. You agree to provide true, accurate, current and complete information about yourself as prompted by the applicable registration form. If we have reasonable grounds to suspect that such information is untrue, inaccurate or incomplete, we reserve the right to suspend or terminate your account and refuse any and all current or future use of the Site (or any portion thereof).
Mediaite typically displays images, audio, and video (the “Material”) as part of blog posts written by its editors. The types of Material editors are authorized to use on Mediaite include:
- material licensed from photographic archive and video vendors
- material supplied to our editors or released into the public domain by public relations and marketing companies for press purposes
- reader-submitted Material, with the implied representation that the person submitting the material owns the copyright in the material and the right to give it to us for use on the site
- material published on Flickr or other public photo / video sites with licenses granted under Creative Commons, with attribution in accordance with the CC license granted in each case
- material commissioned by Mediaite
- material that we believe to be covered by the Fair Use Doctrine, taking into account factors such as:
- The purpose and character of use (e.g. transformation from the original, use for criticism, satire, or parody)
- The nature of the copyrighted work (e.g. factual or newsworthy vs. creative works)
- The amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the whole (e.g. use of cropped, reduced, low-
resolution material used for no more than to convey the point made)
- The effect on the potential market for the copyrighted work (e.g. use that is not substitutive for the original, or would
never be licensed in any event)
If Mediaite received notice that Material posted is not in keeping with these terms and conditions or the intended use of the comments section where it is posted, we reserve the right to remove the material.
If you think Mediaite has published Material that infringes your copyright, we will address your concerns; however, if the material falls into one of the categories listed above, we believe that our use is legitimate and we will not remove it from the site.
Please note that we will respond only to notices of alleged infringement that comply with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act. The text of the Act can be found at the U.S. Copyright Office’s website (www.copyright.gov).To file a notice of infringement with us, you must provide a written communication (by email with an attached and signed PDF or by fax) that sets forth the items specified below. Please do not send us regular mail, as we may not receive it in a timely fashion. IN all cases, if you do not hear a response from us within 10 days of submitting a complaint, please telephone us at 646.370.1237 to confirm that we received your original complaint. Spam blockers sometimes devour important emails from strangers!
To enable us to address your concerns, please provide the following information:
- For each alleged infringing image, video, or piece of text that you wish to have removed from one of our sites,
please provide the exact permanent URL for the page containing the material.
- Provide information reasonably sufficient to permit us to contact you: an email address is preferred in addition to a
- For images, provide the following information detailing your claim to ownership of the copyright in the allegedly
infringing image:*proof of copyright in the images concerned, namely proof of registration of the image under the DMCA,
OR, absent such registration,
*a detailed description of where the photograph was taken, by whom, who or what the subject of the image is, AND
*evidence to support your claim that you own the copyright in the image.We will not comply with requests to remove an image where the complainant cannot prove that they own the copyright in the image in question.
- Include the following statement: “I swear, under penalty of perjury, that the information in the notification is accurate and that I am the copyright owner or am authorized to act on behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed.”
- Sign the document and fax or email to:Fax: 646.370.1238, ATTN: Mediaite Legal / DMCA Complaints
Email: legal AT mediaite DOT com
Please note that you will be liable for damages (including costs and attorneys’ fees) if you materially misrepresent that any material on our sites is infringing your copyrights. If you are not sure whether material available online infringes your copyright, we suggest that you first contact an attorney.Furthermore, we reserve the right to publish your letter on Mediaite.
External Links Disclaimer
Mediaite routinely contains links to external, third party websites. By providing links to other sites, Mediaite doesnot guarantee, approve, or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with our endorsement by the linked site to Mediaite. Mediaite does not operate or control and has no responsibility for the information, produces and/or services found on any external sites. Nor do such links represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any information, products, and/or services provided on or through any external sites, including, without limitation, warranties of any kind, either express or implied, warranties of title or noninfringement or implied warranties of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
Visitors of Mediaite assume complete responsibility and risk in their use of any external sites. Visitors should direct any concerns regarding any external link to its site administrator or webmaster.
SWEEPSTAKES OFFICIAL RULES
NO PURCHASE, PAYMENT OR DONATION IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN ANY SWEEPSTAKES/PRIZE DRAW OFFERED VIA THE MEDIAITE WEBSITE
OVERVIEW: Mediaite (the “Site”) hosts multiple sweepstakes/prize draws (each a “Sweepstakes”). Each Sweepstakes is separate. Entry into one Sweepstakes is not entry for any other Sweepstakes. Details on the exact dates for any Sweepstakes, along with the prize(s) available in that Sweepstakes will be listed on the article post of each individual Sweepstakes. These Official Rules apply to each separate Sweepstakes; provided that if the Sweepstakes Page for any particular Sweepstakes references its own separate set of Official Rules for that Sweepstakes, then those Official Rules will apply.
ELIGIBILITY: Sweepstakes are open to all natural persons who are legal residents of the 50 United States and District of Columbia, who are at least 18 years old at time of entry. Void outside the USA, in Puerto Rico, the US Virgin Islands, and other United States territories and possessions. The Sweepstakes is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations and is void where prohibited by law
SWEEPSTAKES PERIOD: Each Sweepstakes will begin and end at the dates & times listed on the Sweepstakes Page for that particular Sweepstakes (the “Sweepstakes Period”). All times are measured by Eastern Standard Time (EST) in the United States, which is the time in New York.
HOW TO ENTER: There are two ways to enter any Sweepstakes.
- Newsletter Signup. Simply sign up for Mediaite’s weekly newsletter to be eligible for the applicable Sweepstakes.
- By E-Mail.To enter any Sweepstakes without signing up for the newsletter, simply send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line listed in the applicable Sweepstakes page. All emails must be received by the end of the applicable Sweepstakes period to be eligible
By participating in any Sweepstakes, you unconditionally accept and agree to comply with and abide by these Official Rules, the additional details on the applicable Sweepstakes Page, and all decisions of the judges, which shall be final and binding in all respects. All electronic entries for any Sweepstakes Monthly Period must be received during that Sweepstakes Period. Proof of transmission is not proof of receipt.
WINNER SELECTION AND NOTIFICATION/RANDOM DRAWING: Each Sweepstakes drawing will be chosen at random among the eligible entries received during the applicable Sweepstakes Period for that drawing per the “How to Enter” rule above. Each potential winner will be notified via telephone and/or email using the contact information supplied at the time of entry. The notification will include instructions how to contact Sponsor to provide name, address or other information that may be necessary to complete validation of eligibility and delivery of prize. No liability is assumed for any winner notification that is lost, intercepted, or not received by a potential winner for any reason. If a potential winner does not respond within forty eight (48) hours after the first notification attempt, or if the prize or prize notification is returned as unclaimed or undeliverable to such potential winner, such potential winner may be disqualified and an alternate winner may be selected. If a potential winner is found to be ineligible, or if he or she has not complied with these Official Rules or declines a prize for any reason prior to award, such potential winner will be disqualified and an alternate winner may be selected.
PRIZES/ODDS: The prize(s) and value(s) available for any Sweepstakes will be listed on the Sweepstakes Page for that Sweepstakes. The odds of winning in any Sweepstakes depend on the number of eligible entries received for that Sweepstakes.
General Prize Conditions: Prizes are non-transferable, and no cash alternative or prize substitution will be allowed, except in Sponsor’s discretion. A substitute of comparable or greater value may be awarded if any prize listed becomes unavailable for any reason. Allow 4-6 weeks after validation for delivery or arrangement for delivery of prize. Potential winner (a) is responsible for any taxes due as a result of acceptance of the prize, and for any other fees or costs associated with acceptance or use of any prize not expressly included in the prize description, and (b) may be required to execute an Affidavit/Declaration of Eligibility, a Liability Release, and (where legal) a Publicity Release.
RELEASE OF LIABILITY: By participating, to the extent allowed by applicable law, you release Sponsor and its subsidiaries, affiliates, partners, employees, directors, and agents, including advertising agencies, as well as the beneficiary charity, and any named prize provide (“Released Entities”), from any and against any and all injury, loss or damage caused or claimed to be caused by your participation in any Sweepstakes and/or the acceptance, awarding, receipt, use and/or misuse of any prize, and you agree that Released Entities are not responsible for any warranty, representation, or guarantee, expressed or implied, in fact or in law, relating to any Sweepstakes and/or the awarding of any prize, except as expressly set forth in these Official Rules; you further agree that (i) any and all disputes, claims, and causes of action arising out of or in connection with any Sweepstakes, or any prizes awarded, shall be resolved per the procedures set forth in the Mediaite’s User Agreement.
ADDITIONAL RULES: Acceptance of a prize constitutes winner’s permission for Sponsor to use winner’s name, photograph, likeness, voice, biographical information, statements and address (city and state) for advertising and/or publicity purposes worldwide and in all forms of media now known or hereafter developed, in perpetuity, without further compensation except where prohibited by law.
Sponsor reserves the right to suspend, modify or terminate any Sweepstakes, or any individual drawing(s), if Sponsor believes, in its sole discretion, that malfunction, error, disruption or damage is impairing or will impair the administration, security, fairness, integrity or proper conduct of the Sweepstakes or such drawing(s), in which case Sponsor will attempt, if possible, to award the prize among the eligible entries received that were not affected by the problem. In the event of a dispute as to the identity of the entrant, any online entry will be deemed submitted by the authorized account holder of the e-mail account provided to Mediaite at the time of entry and/or registration, provided such account holder must still meet the eligibility requirements for the applicable Sweepstakes. The authorized account holder shall be the natural person to whom the applicable email address has been assigned by the Internet access provider, service provider, or other online organization responsible for assigning e-mail addresses for the domain associated with the submitted e-mail address.
Sponsor may conduct a background check to confirm any potential winner’s eligibility and compliance with these rules. By entering, you agree to cooperate reasonably with any such background check. Failure to cooperate may result in disqualification and selection of an alternate winner. If the prize includes the opportunity to meet a celebrity, attend a special event, or participate in any similar activity, or if Sponsor intends to publicize the winner in any way, and if a background check reveals that a potential winner (or guest) has engaged in conduct that could damage the reputation or business on any sponsor, as determined by Sponsor in its discretion, the potential winner may be disqualified and the prize may be awarded to an alternate winner, time permitting.
WINNER LIST: The first name, last initial, city and state of the winner(s) in each Sweepstakes might be available on home page of the Site for at least ninety (90) days after the end of the applicable Sweepstakes.
SPONSOR: Mediaite, LLC and the entity listed on Sweepstakes page.