After French satirical magazine Charlie Hebdo‘s Paris office was stormed by three gunmen who killed 12 people and escaped, the rush to disseminate information about the manhunt has led to some inaccuracies and false reporting on the part of NBC’s Pete Williams. After first reporting that one of the three suspects was dead, Williams was forced to walk that story back after his counterterrorism sources walked back their original claims.
Here’s what we do know so far.
Right now, the manhunt centers around two brothers: Cherif Kouachi, 32, and Said Kouachi, 34. A third suspect, 18-year-old Hamyd Mourad, turned himself in to police on Wednesday night after seeing his name thrown around on social media. Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve told Agence France-Presse that a total of seven people have so far been detained in connection with the attack. There are unconfirmed French media reports that the two were spotted at a gas station, where they reportedly stole gas and food and then headed toward Paris. So far, officials have not connected the suspects with ISIS or al Qaeda.
In addition, a female police officer was shot and killed on Thursday morning in a Paris suburb by a man who, like the Hebdo attackers, was dressed in all black and wearing a bulletproof vest. Authorities are calling it a terrorist attack, but could not say whether it was connected to Wednesday’s Hebdo attack. At this point, CNN reports, it is unknown if the shooter is still at large.
One staffer confirmed that Charlie Hebdo has plans to publish next week, even as many American news organizations are refusing to air or publish the magazine’s controversial cartoons. Thursday is a national day of mourning in France that has been marked with moments of silence, vigils, and tributes.
Watch the report below, via CNN:
[Image via screengrab]
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]