It began with a slow walk alone to a podium in front of a blue curtain (“It looks like a magic show,” said Rick Reilly on ESPN) and ended with a hug from his mom who was sitting in the front row of the small audience. Here’s what happened in between, with video of the statement.
“Good morning and thank you for joining me,” said Woods to start. Early on he seemed to get get choked up. “Now every one of you has good reason to be critical of me,” he said. “I am deeply sorry for the irresponsible and selfish behavior I have engaged in.”
• The first comment about his wife: “Elin and I have started the process of discussing the damage caused by my behavior.” And later, he was forceful about the night it all began:
It angers me that people would fabricate a story like that. Elin never hit me that night or any other night. There has never been an episode of domestic violence in our marriage ever.
• He apologized a lot, but one that stuck out was this: “My behavior has caused considerable worry to my business partners.”
• This was big: “I was unfaithful, I had affairs, I cheated. What I did was not acceptable and I am the only person to blame.”
• As for treatment, he says he needed help, and had just spent 45 days in an in-patient facility, and “starting tomorrow, I will leave for more treatment and more therapy.”
• He seemed to have some serious disdain for the media. He brought up the idea of answering questions about his marriage and his affairs. And then he said – not happening. “Please know that as far as I’m concerned every one of these questions and answers is a matter between Elin and me. These are issues between a husband and a wife,” he said, and later, more strongly, “Please leave my wife and kids alone.”
• Hey Brit Hume! Woods says religion is helping him…but… “Part of following this path is Buddhism.”
• He emphatically shot down the idea he may have been using Performance-Enhancing Drugs: “This is completely and utterly false.”
One strange staging matter occurred at 11:10amET, when the direct camera shot feed cut out, and all networks switched to a strange over-the-shoulder shot. But this is what we get, folks. For a while, you will only have these 12-minutes to chew over. He’ll be back to golf “one day,” he said, and he wouldn’t “rule out that it will be this year.” But when will he talk about this again? No one knows.
• Related: More on Woods and Buddhism
Here’s the video:
Have a tip we should know? firstname.lastname@example.org