ISIS Claims Responsibility in Deadly Jakarta Attacks
As we reported late Wednesday night, a series of deadly blasts rocked the capital city of Indonesia killing seven people including five suspected militants, and this morning the Islamic State is reportedly claiming responsibility behind the deadly attacks.
According to The Independent, the Aamaaq news agency reported, “Islamic State fighters carried out an armed attack this morning targeting foreign nationals and the security forces charged with protecting them in the Indonesian capital.”
Among those that were killed were a police officer and a Canadian visitor, and updated numbers indicate that as many as seventeen people were wounded in the blasts. Two suspects have been arrested.
The Independent continued:
Jakarta’s police chief, Tito Karnavian, told reporters Isis was “definitely” behind the attack and named an Indonesian militant called Bahrun Naim, who reportedly fought for the group in Syria, as the man responsible for plotting it.
Police previously said they believed militants had been “imitating” the November attacks in Paris.
ISIS claims responsibility for deadly attack in central Jakarta https://t.co/I7LImR3HUm
— Paul LaGrone (@wpbf_paul) January 14, 2016
— The Boston Globe (@BostonGlobe) January 14, 2016
We will update this post as more information becomes available.
Have a tip we should know? email@example.com