Following the tragic mass shooting in Parkland this month, President Donald Trump has expressed some support for a few modest gun control measures, such as banning bump stocks, pushing for comprehensive background checks and raising the age limit on the purchases of AR-15s and other assault-style rifles.
I will be strongly pushing Comprehensive Background Checks with an emphasis on Mental Health. Raise age to 21 and end sale of Bump Stocks! Congress is in a mood to finally do something on this issue – I hope!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 22, 2018
It would appear, however, that he is backing away from one of those proposals — age limits.
CNN’s Jim Acosta told anchor Anderson Cooper the following about Trump’s change of mood on the issue:
“Talking to sources tonight, the president appears to be backing away from this idea that you mentioned just a few moments ago that he supported last week that the age limit should be raised to 21 for purchasing assault weapons. The president tweeted about it, and you notice on Friday in a CPAC speech. And that led to questions about this issue. The White House press secretary said he supports the idea as a concept and tonight we are hearing from sources that he appears to be backing away from that. The president said he is willing to fight the NRA on some issues and apparently that is not one of them.”
Acosta added that it would appear that Trump reiterated his support today for the ban on bump stocks while remaining quiet on the age limit because he feels he’s on safe ground there.
Watch the clip above, via CNN.
[image via screengrab]
Have a tip we should know? email@example.com