Fox News Blasts ‘Far Left Activist Groups’ as Advertisers Flee Tucker Carlson’s Show
Fox News issued a statement on Tuesday firing back at calls for an advertiser boycott of Tucker Carlson’s show — blasting “far left activist groups” — as multiple companies yanked ads following controversial comments the host made about immigration.
Carlson claimed on his primetime show last week that immigration “makes our own country poor and dirtier and more divided.”
That rhetoric sparked an immediate backlash — with many comparing Carlson’s language to that of white nationalists — as well as calls for an ad boycott. At least fifteen advertisers have abandoned his show so far, according to the The Hollywood Reporter.
Other companies, like Mitsubishi and My Pillow, have said they don’t plan on pulling ads from the show. A Fox News spokesperson told Mediaite that all advertisers that have pulled out of Carlson’s show have moved ads to other programs on the network, and that no revenue has been lost.
Here’s the official statement Fox News provided to Mediaite:
We cannot and will not allow voices like Tucker Carlson to be censored by agenda-driven intimidation efforts from the likes of Moveon.org, Media Matters and Sleeping Giants.
Attempts were made last month to bully and terrorize Tucker and his family at their home. He is now once again being threatened via Twitter by far left activist groups with deeply political motives.
While we do not advocate boycotts, these same groups never target other broadcasters and operate under a grossly hypocritical double standard given their intolerance to all opposing points of view.
Carlson himself fired back at the boycott on his show Monday night: “It’s a tactic, a well worn one… and it won’t work with the show, we’re not intimidated. We plan to say what’s true until the last day.”
[Photo by Rich Polk/Getty Images for Politicon]
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]