Kellyanne Conway Also Cited ‘Bowling Green Massacre’ Four Days Before MSNBC Interview
Despite Kellyanne Conway’s claim that she simply “misspoke” when she accused Iraqi immigrants of carrying out a “Bowling Green massacre” on MSNBC’s Hardball Thursday, the White House counselor made the same claim in a Cosmopolitan interview four days earlier.
Conway told MSNBC’s Chris Matthews that the Obama administration also had to freeze immigration from certain countries following the “Bowling Green massacre.” There was no such massacre. Amid criticism and mockery, Conway insisted that she had merely misspoken and bashed the media for not giving her the benefit of the doubt.
But Cosmopolitan reported Monday that during their interview earlier that week, Conway told them the exact same thing (the remarks didn’t appear in their initial story). Conway went even further in her interview with the women’s magazine, claiming that the Bowling Green massacre had killed U.S. soldiers.
Conway claimed Obama initiated a travel ban “for exactly the same reasons. He did that because two Iraqi nationals came to this country, joined ISIS, traveled back to the Middle East to get trained and refine their terrorism skills and come back here and were the masterminds behind the Bowling Green massacre of taking innocent soldiers’ lives away.”
In reality, federal authorities arrested two Iraqi refugees on terrorism charges in Bowling Green, Kentucky in 2011. But there is no evidence that they were planning an attack when arrested, let alone that they had successfully carried out a massacre of soldiers.
[Image via screengrab]
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]