Trump Says He Just Spoke With Saudi Crown Prince: He ‘Denied Any Knowledge,’ But ‘Answers Will Be Coming’
President Donald Trump said that Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman of Saudi Arabia “totally denied any knowledge” of what happened at the consulate in Turkey where missing journalist Jamal Khashoggi is believed to have been murdered.
“Just spoke with the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia who totally denied any knowledge of what took place in their Turkish Consulate,” Trump wrote on Twitter. “He was with Secretary of State Mike Pompeo…during the call, and told me that he has already started, and will rapidly expand, a full and complete investigation into this matter.
“Answers will be forthcoming shortly,” Trump added.
…during the call, and told me that he has already started, and will rapidly expand, a full and complete investigation into this matter. Answers will be forthcoming shortly.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) October 16, 2018
CNN reported on Monday that Saudi Arabia is preparing a report in which they will admit that Khashoggi, a Washington Post columnist and prominent Saudi dissident who went missing earlier this month, was killed in an “interrogation gone wrong.”
The report is intended to absolve the Saudi government of responsibility for the murder by claiming the operation was carried out without any clearance from senior officials. Earlier on Monday, Trump said he spoke with Saudi King Salman, who “firmly denied any knowledge” of the murder of Khashoggi. Trump also said Salman suggested those responsible for his death could be “rogue killers.”
The CNN report conflicts with initial statements from the Saudi government, and the crown prince himself, who said that Khashoggi left the consulate shortly after arriving.
Have a tip we should know? firstname.lastname@example.org