Rod Rosenstein Denies Bombshell NY Times Report: ‘Inaccurate and Factually Incorrect’
Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein has denied that he discussed secretly recording President Donald Trump and considered recruiting Cabinet members to invoke the 25th Amendment to get Trump out of office.
On Friday, The New York Times published an explosive report claiming that Rosenstein made the suggestion, which was not acted upon, last year.
According to the New York Times:
Mr. Rosenstein made these suggestions in the spring of 2017 when Mr. Trump’s firing of James B. Comey as F.B.I. director plunged the White House into turmoil. Over the ensuing days, the president divulgedclassified intelligence to Russians in the Oval Office, and revelations emerged that Mr. Trump had asked Mr. Comey to and end an investigation into a senior aide.
However, Rosenstein’s has disputed the claims made in the Times report.
“The New York Times’s story is inaccurate and factually incorrect,” he said in a statement published by the Times in the article and provided to CNN. “I will not further comment on a story based on anonymous sources who are obviously biased against the department and are advancing their own personal agenda. But let me be clear about this: Based on my personal dealings with the president, there is no basis to invoke the 25th Amendment.”
Responding to Rosenstein’s statement, however, CNN’s Wolf Blitzer called it a “so-called denial” and noted it was carefully worded to avoid firm language.
“That doesn’t sound like a firm denial, ‘I never recorded anything, I never even raised the possibility of the 25th amendment,'” Blitzer said after reading the denial on air. “This is what they often call a nondenial denial.”
Watch above, via CNN
[image via Getty Images]
Have a tip we should know? email@example.com