Mediaite is Hiring a Night Editor
Mediaite is looking to hire an ambitious, energetic, night editor to analyze the names, the brands, the gossip, the digerati of news, politics, and entertainment. You would be writing and breaking news stories using any and all of the tools of digital storytelling: Words, video, pictures, social interactions, book excerpts, you name it. But in the end, you are a media critic/reporter. You will be read and seen by all the most important people in media and politics and your work has to reflect that.
You’ll be covering news at the intersection of media and politics from prime time on the big three cable networks through to the late night network shows — so you must know the players and what is newsworthy.
– A concise, and in-depth knowledge of the world of news, politics and media, including online personalities, major cable and broadcast networks, leading columnists, late night comedians and general thought-leaders.
– High metabolism and ability to write straight news articles with speed and craft headlines.
— Ability to spot the news-making comment from a prime time cable news host or the joke from a late night comedian that will make coverage the next day.
– Ability to find stories bubbling up in the conservative or liberal media world before they have been widely reported.
– A clear understanding of how Twitter, Facebook, user-generated content, and viral videos are shaping the news cycle.
– Ability to break stories by using contacts and/or mining social media.
– Strong news judgment and an eye for underreported content and ideas. Can you find the nugget of interest that no one else has focused on?
– Ability to spot a viral video when it’s just a video, not viral. Yet.
– Must be willing to work late nights.
– New York or Washington based preferred but not required.
– Pay is relatively modest to start with quick opportunity for growth
– Send us an email (email@example.com) with your resume and cover letter explaining why you’re suited for the position. Please include links to articles you’ve written and edited.
Have a tip we should know? firstname.lastname@example.org