James Franco Denies Sexual Misconduct Allegations on The Late Show: They’re ‘Not Accurate’
On Tuesday night, James Franco addressed the allegations of sexual misconduct made against him that went viral over the weekend.
During the Golden Globes, multiple women took to Twitter expressing outrage against Franco, including actress Violet Paley.
Cute #TIMESUP pin James Franco. Remember the time you pushed my head down in a car towards your exposed penis & that other time you told my friend to come to your hotel when she was 17? After you had already been caught doing that to a different 17 year old?
— Violet Paley (@VioletPaley) January 8, 2018
“Remember the time you pushed my head down in a car towards your exposed penis & that other time you told my friend to come to your hotel when she was 17?” Paley asked. “After you had already been caught doing that to a different 17 year old?” This was likely a reference to a 2014 controversy in which Franco flirted with a 17-year-old on Instagram.
In another tweet, Paley hinted at “a lot more details that will be out soon.”
Actress Aly Sheedy also called out Franco in tweets she deleted but didn’t go into any details about any alleged wrongdoing.
In their late night interview, Stephen Colbert confronted the Golden Globe winner about the criticisms of him wearing the #TimesUp pin.
“You got criticized for wearing that. Do you have a response or do you have anything to say about that criticism?” Colbert asked.
A very uncomfortable Franco expressed his support for the movement and said he supports a stronger representation women, people of color, and the LGBT community in Hollywood. He then spoke about the allegations themselves.
“There were some things on Twitter… I haven’t read them. I heard about them. First of all, I have no idea what I did to Aly Sheedy. I directed her in a play off Broadway. I had nothing but a great time with her,” Franco said. “Total respect for her. I have no idea why she was upset. She took the tweets down. I don’t know.”
When it came to the other tweets, The Disaster Artist star said he “prides himself” in the responsibility for his actions.
“The things I’ve heard on Twitter were not accurate,” he continued, “but I completely support people coming out and being able to have a voice because they didn’t have a voice for so long. So I don’t want to, you know, shut them down in any way. I think it’s a good thing and I support it.”
Watch the clip above, via CBS.
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]