A spokesman for the Chicago police chief states that a previously missing 15-year-old girl was found safe after it was discovered that she was apparently sexually assaulted by several boys and the rape was broadcast on Facebook Live.
According to investigators, none of the roughly 40 people who watched the video called authorities.
What’s even more disturbing, more than the fact that they did this, there were so many people that saw this and they didn’t pick up the phone and dial 911,” [police superintendent Eddie] Johnson told WGN. “That’s just not right and [we’re] working on it and try to bring it to a successful resolution.
The girl’s mother was told by an uncle that her daughter looked to be the subject of a gang rape video on Facebook. The video has since been taken down by Facebook. Screen images provided to the press were deemed far too graphic to share publicly.
The teen was found Tuesday morning after having been missing since Sunday afternoon. This is the second notorious Facebook Live case of violence to hit the Chicago area in the past few months.
Watch news clip above, via CBS Chicago.
[image via screengrab]
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]