Chuck Schumer Revokes Deal to Allocate Funding for Trump’s Border Wall

So…America might head back to a shutdown once the government’s short term funding bill expires next month.
Politico reports that Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) has told the White House that he is taking back his previous offer to support funding for President Donald Trump‘s border wall. Schumer said last week that he would consider allocating $1.6 billion for border wall construction costs, but now, it seems he is leaving it up to Trump to fulfill his 2016 campaign promise of getting Mexico to pay for it.
Schumer “took it off,” Dick Durbin (D-IL) told reporters. “He called the White House yesterday and said it’s over.”
When the shutdown began at the start of this past weekend, Trump and the GOP demanded border wall funding and hardline immigration reform, while Democrats fought for DACA Dreamer protections and more moderate immigration policies.
When the shutdown ended on Monday, Schumer and his allies insisted that they made a deal with Mitch McConnell for a discussion on legislation to resolve the DACA matter. However, congressional Democrats are getting pummeled for not only shutting down the government, but for apparently giving up the fight without securing any of the concessions they wanted.
Republicans have emphasized the border wall’s necessity during recent discussions over government funding, and Trump has said that the wall is a necessity for any deal on immigration. White House spokesman Hogan Gidley addressed the news about Schumer during an interview a short time ago on Fox News, blasting the “bogus deal” and saying Schumer “doesn’t even have a leg to stand on” after the shutdown.
[Image via screengrab]
— —
>> Follow Ken Meyer (@KenMeyer91) on Twitter
New: The Mediaite One-Sheet "Newsletter of Newsletters"
Your daily summary and analysis of what the many, many media newsletters are saying and reporting. Subscribe now!
Comments
↓ Scroll down for comments ↓