Sarah Palin Deflects Trump Assassination Joke With These ‘Violent Obama Quotes’
Former future Vice President and current former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin kept studiously quiet when it came to Donald Trump‘s extended feud with the family of the late Captain Humayun Khan, but she’s dipping a toe into the water of one of Trump’s current controversies. The week has been dominated by Trump’s joke about the possibility that “Second Amendment people” might assassinate Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton, but on Facebook, Palin dismissed the controversy by posting a link to the “Top 5 most violent Barack Obama quotes ever.”
Here are the “violent” quotes that Sarah Palin thinks are equivalent to joking about the assassination of a political rival:
- “I want them just to get out of the way so we can clean up the mess.”
- “I want you to argue with them and get in their face.”
- “We talk to these folks because they, potentially, have the best answers so I know whose ass to kick.”
- “If Latinos sit out the election instead of saying, ‘We’re going to punish our enemies and we’re gonna reward our friends who stand with us on issues that are important to us,’ if they don’t see that kind of upsurge in voting in this election, then I think it’s going to be harder”
- “If they bring a knife to the fight, we bring a gun. Because from what I understand folks in Philly like a good brawl. I’ve seen Eagles fans.”
Yes, in Sarah Palin’s world, it’s “violent” to ask someone to “get out of the way.”
That fourth clip is actually quite instructive, though, because unlike Trump, President Obama explicitly explained that Latino voters could “punish” their enemies with their votes, a revision that the Trump campaign has tried, and failed, to make stick.
This is an opinion piece. The views expressed in this article are those of just the author.