WATCH: Horse Bettor Loses Out on $571,000 When a Jockey Falls Off Right Before the Wire
On Thursday at Gulfstream Park in Hallandale Beach, FL, an unlucky horse racing gambler lost out on a massive, six-figure payout when a jockey fell off his horse just yards before he almost certainly would’ve crossed the wire first.
The unfortunate incident occurred in the closing stages of Race 10, the day’s finale. The gambler needed the No. 9 horse, Cryogenic, to win in order to cash a winning ticket on a wager called the Rainbow Six. The Rainbow Six requires bettors to correctly pick the winner of six consecutive races — with the caveat that the full prize pool is only awarded if there is just one winning ticket. Otherwise, everyone who picked six winners splits 70 percent of that day’s prize pool, while the remaining 30 percent carries over to a jackpot prize pool — with the process repeating every day until there is just one winner.
Thursday’s jackpot was $571,744. And Cryogenic was a few strides away from securing that money for someone. But the horse took a bad step and veered badly to the inside. This caused jockey Emisael Jaramillo to fall off his mount.
Cryogenic didn’t cross the wire first without his jockey, but it wouldn’t have mattered if he did. The jockey must be on board for the win to count. The horse lost the race, and a human lost out on nearly six hundred thousand bucks.
Both Cryogenic and rider Jaramillo, thankfully, will be okay. Gulfstream Park reports that the horse galloped out properly after the race, seemingly no worse for the wear. And according to Daily Racing Form, the rider sustained only bumps and bruises in the scary fall, and will be sidelined for about a week.
Cryogenic was very green in stretch once he made the lead and was by himself. For those wondering, the horse galloped out fine. @JaramilloJockey was taken to Memorial Hospital, moving extremities tho is complaining of chest pain. Thoughts for Emisael!
— Acacia Courtney (@acacia_courtney) December 28, 2017
Emisael Jaramillo expected to be released from hospital this morning but according to his agent not likely to ride again for about one week recuperating from bumps and bruises incurred in frightening spill in Thursday’s finale.
— Mike Welsch (@DRFWelsch) December 29, 2017
As for the person who lost out on a potential life-changing fortune, we can only guess how they’re doing.
Watch above, via Gulfstream Park. (The end of the race can be found at the 1:40 mark.)
[featured image via screengrab]
Follow Joe DePaolo (@joe_depaolo) on Twitter
Have a tip we should know? [email protected]