Reminder: Never, ever tweet.
“Nazi salutes are indefensible,” a CNN spokesperson said in a statement. “Jeffrey Lord is no longer with the network.”
Lord’s tweet came in the midst of a back-and-forth with Angelo Carusone, who he has battled for a while now. After Lord tweeted out his latest American Spectator column in which he called Media Matters for America “Media Matters Fascists.” In the piece, he labeled Carusone a “fascist” and “anti-speech bigot” for targeting
When Carusone responded that there was a “mistake” in the headline and asked Lord how he expected anyone to take him seriously, Lord sent out the infamous tweet.
Lord had been with the network for almost exactly two years, joining CNN in August 2015 as essentially the network’s first explicitly pro-Trump commentator. While largely obscure at the time of his hire, Lord since became perhaps the most well-known Trump supporter on the network.
Lord is the second Trump-defending pundit to leave CNN this week. Commentator Kayleigh McEnany left recently to become a spokesperson for the Republican National Committee while also making an appearance on Trump TV.
CNN senior media correspondent Brian Stelter tweeted out after Lord’s termination was announced that he spoke to Lord on the phone. On the call, Lord expressed his love for CNN but said he thought they were “caving to bullies.”
— Brian Stelter (@brianstelter) August 10, 2017
UPDATE 6:50 PM ET: It appears that none of the other networks are looking to bring on Lord at this time.
Per a Fox News spokeswoman, they are not hiring Jeffrey Lord. MSNBC/NBC spokesman has confirmed that they aren’t hiring Lord either. https://t.co/siU3wfFqy1
— Yashar Ali (@yashar) August 10, 2017
[image via screengrab]
Have a tip we should know? firstname.lastname@example.org