JUST IN: Alexi McCammond Out at Teen Vogue Following Backlash to Old Offensive Tweets
McCammond, who was previously a political reporter for Axios, faced criticism from staffers at Teen Vogue over old tweets, posted when she was a teen, mocking Asians and using anti-gay slurs.
“I became a journalist to help lift up the stories and voices of our most vulnerable communities. As a young woman of color, that’s part of the reason I was so excited to lead the Teen Vogue team in its next chapter,” she wrote. “My past tweets have overshadowed the work I’ve done to highlight the people and issues that I care about —issues that Teen Vogue has worked tirelessly to share with the world — and so Conde Nast and I have decided to part ways.”
The resurfacing of McCammond’s decade-old tweets, which had been deleted, came amid reports of increased hate crimes against Asian Americans during the pandemic. On Tuesday, six women of Asian descent were killed in a deadly shooting attack on three Atlanta-area spas that killed eight people.
In an internal memo to staff obtained by Mediaite, Conde Nast HR chief Stan Duncan addressed the departure of McCammond, saying that “after speaking with Alexi this morning, we agreed that it was best to part ways, so as to not overshadow the important work happening at Teen Vogue.”
Duncan acknowledged that top Conde Nast executives were aware of McCammond’s old tweets, and that McCammond had acknowledged them while interviewing with the company, including Anna Wintour, the chief content officer and global editorial director of Vogue, the New York Times reported.
“Ms. Wintour discussed the tweets with leaders of color at Conde Nast before the job was offered, according to a company executive who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss a personnel issue,” the Times reported. “Ms. McCammond struck Conde Nast leaders as an impressive candidate, the executive said, and they felt her 2019 apology showed that she had learned from her mistake.”
The Times report added that the company wasn’t aware of McCammond’s tweets that included anti-gay slurs, as well as a photo, also from 2011, that reportedly showed McCammond in a Native American costume at a Halloween party. The additional tweets and photo didn’t come up in the vetting process because it had been deleted, a Conde Nast executive told the Times.
The Times also reported that it was “clear” that McCammond’s job was in jeopardy on Monday, when Wintour cancelled a meeting scheduled for Wednesday for top Conde Nast editors, McCammond, and the new editor in chief of Vogue China, Margaret Zhang.
“The cancellation was accompanied by a note saying the meeting would not be rescheduled,” the Times story said.
McCammond was set to start on March 24.
Read her full statement below:
I became a journalist to help lift up the stories and voices of our most vulnerable communities. As a young woman of color, that’s part of the reason I was so excited to lead the Teen Vogue team in its next chapter.
My past tweets have overshadowed the work I’ve done to highlight the people and issues that I care about —issues that Teen Vogue has worked tirelessly to share with the world — and so Conde Nast and I have decided to part ways.
I should not have tweeted what I did and I have taken full responsibility for that. I look at my work and growth in the years since, and have redoubled my commitment to growing in the years to come as both a person and as a professional.
I wish the talented team at Teen Vogue the absolute best moving forward. Their work has never been more important, and I will be rooting for them.
There are so many stories left to be told, especially those about marginalized communities and the issues affecting them. I hope to have the opportunity to re-join the ranks of tireless journalists who are shining light on the issues that matter every single day.
Have a tip we should know? firstname.lastname@example.org