Report: 2.2 Million Obamacare Enrollments Through December, But How Many Are Young Invincibles?
The Department of Health and Human Services released state and federal enrollment figures for the Affordable Care Act through December 28, and for the first time, included demographic information on the enrollees. The report shows that through the end of December, almost 2.2 million people signed up for health insurance through state and federal exchanges, after only 375,000 enrollments in the first two months.
Of those 2.2 million enrollments, 24% were in the key 18-34 year-old demographic, short of the 40% goal for the program’s March 31 deadline, but according to HHS, still on track with their expectations. On a conference call Monday, CMS official Gary Cohen told reporters “We think more and more young people will sign up as time goes by, just as they did in Massachusetts,” adding that the administration is “very pleased with the percentage that we have, and we expect that to increase.”
Since the troubled rollout of the law, the Obama administration has consistently said that demand for health insurances on the exchanges was likely to be front-loaded with people who are older and less healthy.
The state with the highest percentage of young enrollees was Massachusetts, at 31%.
The report also shows that 1.6 million people have been assessed as eligible for Medicaid or CHIP through state and federal exchanges through December.
- Nearly 2.2 million (2,153,421) people selected Marketplace plans from Oct. 1 through Dec. 28, 2013
- These signups in the state and federal marketplaces represent a nearly five-fold increase from October-November, including nearly 1.8 million (1,788,739) people who selected a plan in December (compared with the previous two-month cumulative total of 364,682 through Nov. 30, 2013).
Of the almost 2.2. million:
- 54 percent are female and 46 percent are male;
- 30 percent are age 34 and under;
- 24 percent are between the ages of 18 and 34, and;
- 60 percent selected a Silver plan, while 20 percent selected a Bronze plan; and
- 79 percent selected a plan with Financial Assistance.
You can read the full report here.
Have a tip we should know? firstname.lastname@example.org