comScore Nigeria Reportedly Reaches Deal with Boko Haram to Return 200 Schoolgirls Home | Mediaite

Nigeria Reportedly Reaches Deal with Boko Haram to Return 200 Schoolgirls Home

After more than six months in captivity, it appears that the more than 200 kidnapped schoolgirls in Nigeria will soon be returning home. On Thursday night, the Nigerian government reportedly announced that it has come to a ceasefire agreement with the Islamic terrorist group Boko Haram that include the release of the girls, who were taken en masse earlier this year.

“We have agreed on the release of the Chibok schoolgirls, and we expect to conclude on that at our next meeting with the group’s representative next week in Chad,” Hassan Tukur, principal secretary to Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan said in a statement. “The group has shown willingness to abide by the agreement which ‎it demonstrated with the release of the Chinese and Cameroonian hostages few days ago.”

“Commitment among parts of Boko Haram and the military does appear to be genuine. It is worth taking seriously,” senior Nigerian security source told Reuters of the negotiations, which took place over the last few days between members of the Nigerian government and Danladi Ahmadu, who calls himself the secretary-general of Boko Haram.

International media interest in the kidnappings peaked in May of this year, following the spread of the #BringBackOurGirls social media campaign, in which First Lady Michelle Obama was one of many participants.

Watch video below, via CNN:

[Photo via screengrab]

— —

>> Follow Matt Wilstein (@TheMattWilstein) on Twitter

Have a tip we should know?

  1. Mediaite
  2. The Mary Sue
  3. RunwayRiot
  4. Law & Crime
  5. SportsGrid
  6. Gossip Cop