Undercovered is our daily feature bringing attention to women’s issues worldwide, which we feel deserve a larger.
It has been over two years since the Islamic terrorism group Boko Haram kidnapped nearly 300 girls from Chibok, Nigeria, an act of abduction that gained international attention in part thanks to the hashtag “Bring Back Our Girls.” Some of the women escaped, though currently, more than 200 remain missing.
The group released a new video showing recent footage of the abductees and claiming that some had been killed in air strikes, according to Reuters.
Ardo Hazzad, reporting from Bauchi, Nigeria, writes:
In the video published on social media, which was seen by Reuters on Sunday, a masked man stands behind dozens of girls.
“We want to send this message first to the parents of these girls for them to know that these girls are still with us, some of them, and secondly they should tell the Federal Government of Nigeria, to with immediate effect, release our imprisoned brothers,” the man said.
“Some of the girls, about forty of them with God’s permission have been married, some of them have died as a result of bombing by the infidels,” he said.
You can read the complete Reuters report here.
[image: file, c. 2014]
Undercovered is a daily feature from Mediaite, bringing attention to stories about women’s issues that warrant more attention. Go through the Undercovered archives here. If you have an idea or a tip, please email us at Undercovered@mediaite.com
Have a tip we should know? firstname.lastname@example.org