comScore

Chris Christie Reveals Trump Asked Him ‘Is It Over?’ After Access Hollywood Tape Dropped

President Donald Trump — who takes pains to never show even the slightest bit of self-doubt in public — privately worried whether his campaign was doomed following the release of the Access Hollywood tape.

That’s according to former New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie. Appearing on Fox News over the weekend, the governor claims Trump asked him whether the footage was a death blow to his candidacy.

“He said, ‘Is it over?'” Christie said. “I said, ‘No, because you are running against the single worst presidential candidate in my lifetime. So we’ve got time to recover. But we’ve got to do it the right way.'”

Christie credits the second presidential debate — which took place two days later — with helping Trump get past the controversy.

“He went into that debate Sunday night, and he dealt with the issue, and he really really performed well in that debate,” Christie said.

Previously, Christie told SiriusXM that in the moments after the Access Hollywood tape dropped, Trump appeared to be truly humiliated.

“It was one of the few times in the 17 years I’ve known him that I actually saw the president genuinely embarrassed,” Christie said. “He looked embarrassed. He acted embarrassed.”

Watch above, via Fox News.

Have a tip we should know? [email protected]

Filed Under:

Follow Mediaite:


Joe DePaolo is a Senior Editor at Mediaite. Email him here: [email protected] Follow him on Twitter: @joe_depaolo