In one of the most comprehensive Freedom of Information Act requests, The Charleston Post & Courier released the entirety of Gov. Mark Sanford communications director Joel Sawyer‘s emails from the time Sanford went missing until after his surprise news conference. The decision to release them all, complete with zero redactions (find out Stephen Colbert‘s email address!) is rare. But when viewed in its entirety, it provides a revealing look at a complete journalistic — and public relations — storyline.
The main problem? It’s 570 pages. But don’t cry for us Argentina – we dug through the mess to find the 10 most interesting parts in the Sanford Files.
• #10 – Fox News producer/reporter Griff Jenkins, 6/23 8:28am: “Having known the Governor for years and even worked with him when he would host radio shows for me – I find this story and the media frenzy surrounding it to be absolutely ridiculous.”
• #9 – CNN producer Beth Rotatori, 6/23 11:02am: “Sorry to hear the Governor’s hike was cut short – but glad to hear he’s safe.”
• #8 – Augusta Chronicle editorial page editor Michael Ryan, 6/24 9:54am: “Either you all had no clue whatsoever where the governor was, or somebody lied. Which is it? And which is worse? Y’all are making it tough on those of us who support the governor…”
• #7 – ABC anchor George Stephanopoulos, 6/24 10:34am: “Know you must be besieged. If Governor looking for civil forum to address this week’s events (and significantly, other policy issues), we’d love to have him on This Week.”
• #6 – Post & Courier reporter Tony Bartelme, 6/23 5:49pm: “I have a report from one of Sanford’s friends that he went to Aruba or Antigua. The Appalachian Trail doesn’t run down there, last I checked. Any truth to the friend’s report?”
• #5 – NBC anchor David Gregory, 6/24 12:24pm: “I think it’s exactly the right forum for him to answer to answer the questions about his trip as well as giving him a platform to discuss the economy/stimulus and future of the party. You know he will get a fair shake from me and coming on MTP puts all of this to rest.”
• #4 – ABC correspondent Jake Tapper, 6/23 11:34am: “For the record, I think the TODAY Show spot was pretty insulting…” (Subject: NBC spot was slimy)
• #3 – MSNBC anchor David Shuster -“Anything unusual about this? The first lady doesn’t know where he is? Let me know…I’d be happy to kill this story.”
• #2 – CNN’s John King, 6/22 5:21pm: “I’m all for anonymous escapes myself!”
• #1 – NBC anchor David Gregory (again), 6/24 6:13pm: “This situation only exacerbates the issue of how the GOP recovers when another national leader suffers a setback like this. Coming on Meet the Press allows you to frame the conversation how you really want to…and then move on. You can see you have done your interview and then move on. Consider it.”
Have a tip we should know? firstname.lastname@example.org